DEMPSEY CHALLENGE AT A GLANCE
|+ What is the Dempsey Challenge?|
|+ Quick Facts|
|+ Registration + Fundraising|
|+ Key Dates|
For one weekend every September, thousands of people break out their inner athletes to raise funds to improve the lives of peole living with cancer. 100% of funds raised by Dempsey Challenge participants goes towards providing services AT NO COST to cancer patients and their families.
The Dempsey Challenge presented by Amgen Oncology is a fundraising experience to benefit the Dempsey Center located in Lewiston and South Portland, Maine. It’s two days of outdoor fun, celebration and camaraderie. It’s a welcoming year-round community dedicated to making life better for anyone managing the impact of cancer.
About The Dempsey Challenge
- The Dempsey Challenge is a run/walk/cycle event and is the premier fundraiser of the Dempsey Center, which was founded by actor Patrick Dempsey with the intention of giving back to the community where he grew up, and where his mother first received cancer treatment in 1997.
- The event takes place in Lewiston, Maine every fall.
- The next Dempsey Challenge is September 26 + 27, 2020.
- This will be the 12th consecutive Dempsey Challenge.
- Together, Challenge participants have raised more than $13 million to improve the lives of people dealing with cancer.
- Generous corporate sponsors cover the cost of the event, so every dollar raised by participants goes directly to the Dempsey Center.
Who takes the Challenge?
- No matter who you are, there’s a place for you here!
- Participants are all ages, have varying abilities, and hail from around the world.
- Volunteers and ambassadors love their roles and come back year after year.
- Dempsey Challengers are: riders, walkers, runners, volunteers, donors, fundraisers, kids, adults, and families — a community. People who want to make life better for people dealing with cancer.
How it works
- Participants can be part of a team or join as an individual.
- Each adult rider, walker, or runner commits to a $250 minimum fundraising minimum.
- Young Adult participants, ages 18-23 commits to a $150 fundraising minimum.
- Youth participants under 18 years old do not have a fundraising minimm.
- In 2019, 3,182 Challenge participants on 317 teams raised over $1.24 million dollars!
- The 5K/10K walk/run is untimed and non-competitive.
- Cyclists can choose any distance route: 10, 25, 50, 65 or 100 miles.
- Participants receive support for training and fundraising from Dempsey Center staff
- The Dempsey Challenge is more than a run/walk or ride. The entire weekend is filled with positive energy, love, and support.
How can I get involved in this awesome event?
- Sign up today to participate, fundraise, or volunteer!
- If you’re in the Lewiston/Auburn area, join us on event weekend to cheer for walkers and runners as they hit the pavement on Saturday, or create a cheer station along one of the many bike routes throughout Maine!
- With your support, the Dempsey Center continues to provide countless services that improve the lives of people dealing with cancer.
Run/Walk – Run or walk the 5K or 10K course covering areas of Lewiston-Auburn
Ride – Participate in one of five cycling tours (10, 25, 50, 65 and 100 miles)
Run/Walk and Ride COMBO - Challenge yourself to a 5K or 10K run/walk on Saturday and return on Sunday to participate in one of five cycling tours (10, 25, 50, 65 and 100 miles)
Virtual Challenger - no registration fee and no fundraising minimum
You may not be able to ride, walk, or run during Challenge weekend, but you can help make lives better for people impacted by cancer by doing an activity you love from wherever you are!
This is your chance to get creative! Register as a Virtual Challenger, set your fundraising goal, create your personal fundraising page, and hit the ground running (or hiking, or kayaking, or gardening…the sky's the limit!).
Virtual Participants are entitled to all fundraising incentives.
Volunteer – donate your valuable time to benefit a great cause!
March 31, 2020 11:59pm EST
- Deadline for early bird registration rate
August 1, 2020
- Deadline to register for the Dempsey Challenge to receive a participant t-shirt
September 1, 2020
- Deadline to register for the Kids' Fun Run to receive a free youth t-shirt
September 18, 2020, 4:30pm EST
- Deadline to raise $10,000+ to receive tickets to the VIP Private Reception presented by TAG Heuer with Patrick Dempsey
- Deadline to raise $3,000+ to receive invitation to the Champions for Hope Celebration
September 24, 2020 3:00pm EST
- Deadline to meet fundraising minimums to determine College Cup Challenge winner
September 24, 2020 11:59pm EST
- Deadline to sign up for Team Packet Pick-Up
September 27, 2020 11:59pm EST
- Final fundraising deadline for all other incentives