DEMPSEY CHALLENGE AT A GLANCE
|+ What's new for 2023|
|+ Quick Facts|
|+ Travel + Logistics|
|+ Things to Do|
|+ Registration + Fundraising|
|+ Key Dates|
|+ Connect with Us|
Each September, thousands of people break out their inner athletes to help make life better for people impacted by cancer by raising funds for the Dempsey Center through the Dempsey Challenge. 100% of funds raised by Challenge participants helps provide personalized, holistic services AT NO COST to cancer patients, their loved ones, and care partners.
WHAT IS THE DEMPSEY CHALLENGE?
The Dempsey Challenge presented by Karyopharm is an annual run/walk/ride experience to benefit the Dempsey Center. With two physical Centers in Lewiston and South Portland, Maine, and our third, virtual Center—Dempsey Connects, which launched in 2020—our specially-trained team of experts provides curated, holistic care to people impacted by cancer in Maine and beyond. Founded by actor Patrick Dempsey in 2009, this flagship fundraising event has raised over $18 million for the Dempsey Center since its inception, with 100% of all funds raised going directly to client care.
WHAT'S NEW FOR 2023?
We've taken the Dempsey Challenge of the past and combined it into one day of inspiration, participation and celebration as we rally together to make life better for people impacted by cancer. On Saturday, September 23rd, you'll choose to participate in a 5K run/walk, a 10-, 25-, 50- or 65-mile metric century cycling event or a brand new 25-mile event --our take on a duathlon-- that will challenge you to run 4.5 miles AND ride 21.5 miles to the finish line at the Festival in the Park!
In the afternoon, we'll come together to honor cancer survivors with the 15th Annual Survivor Walk, recognize the 2023 Amanda Dempsey Award winner and close out the day as we celebrate the top fundraisers at the Fundraising Award ceremony.
About The Dempsey Challenge
- The Dempsey Challenge is a run/walk/cycle event and is the flagship fundraiser for the Dempsey Center, founded by actor Patrick Dempsey. Patrick grew up in Maine, and wanted to help provide wrap-around support and care for people in Maine impacted by cancer after experiencing his own cancer impact when his mom Amanda was diagnosed in 1997.
- The event takes place in Lewiston, Maine every fall.
- In 2020, the Dempsey Challenge went global and introduced a complete virtual event. Today, the Dempsey Challenge is a hybrid event where participants can choose to participate in person or virtually - there are no barriers to get involved!
- The next Dempsey Challenge is September 23, 2023.
- This will be the 15th consecutive Dempsey Challenge.
- Generous corporate sponsors cover the cost of the event, so every dollar raised by participants goes directly to the Dempsey Center.
Who can participate in the Challenge?
- No matter who you are, there’s a place for you in the Dempsey Challenge!
- Participants are all ages, have varying abilities, and hail from around the world.
- Volunteers and ambassadors love their roles and come back year after year.
- Dempsey Challengers are: riders, walkers, runners, volunteers, donors, fundraisers, kids, adults, and families — a community. People who want to make life better for people dealing with cancer.
How it works
- Participants can be part of a team or join as an individual.
- Participants can choose either the in-person Dempsey Challenge to take place in Lewiston, Maine, or can participate virtually as a Virtual Challenger.
- Participants receive support for training and fundraising from Dempsey Center staff.
- In 2022, Dempsey Challenge participants from all over the world raised over $1.6 million dollars!
How to get involved
- Sign up today to participate, fundraise, or volunteer!
- If you’re in the Lewiston/Auburn area on Saturday, September 23rd cheer for walkers and runners as they hit the pavement, or create a cheer station along one of the many bike routes throughout Maine!
April 15, 2023
- Registration opens
September 1, 2023
- Deadline to register for the Virtual Dempsey Challenge to receive a participant t-shirt, bib and sticker pre-event
September 21, 2023 12:00pm ET
- Fundraising Awards deadline
- Top Fundraiser Awards to be recognized in the park
- Deadline to raise $3,000+ to receive invitation to the Champions for Hope Celebration
- College Cup + High School Challenge fundraising deadline
September 21, 2023 4:00pm-7:00pm ET
- Packet Pickup (Location TBD)
- Due to traffic, volume, and efficiency, we are offering Packet Pickup on Thursday and Friday. If you’re unable to pick up your bib and t-shirt, a friend or family member may do it for you. We will be offering a small window for Packet Pickup at the Customer Service Tent, minimally staffed, and should be used for extenuating circumstances only. Please plan ahead or consider having someone else pick up your bib and packet for you.
September 22, 2023 10:00am-7:00pm ET
- Packet Pickup (Location TBD)
- Due to traffic, volume, and efficiency, we are offering Packet Pickup on Thursday and Friday at Baxter Brewing. If you’re unable to pick up your bib and t-shirt, a friend or family member may do it for you. We will be offering a small window for Packet Pickup at the Customer Service Tent, minimally staffed, and should be used for extenuating circumstances only. Please plan ahead or consider having someone else pick up your bib and packet for you.
September 23, 2023 5:00pm EST
- Final fundraising deadline for all other incentives
- In-person Dempsey Challengers will pick up incentives in the park on Saturday, September 23rd
- Virtual Challengers will have incentives shipped post-event
- Deadline for Virtual Challengers to submit activity to receive official Virtual Challenger Finisher patch
- Patches will be shipped in October
October 31, 2023 11:59pm EST
- Final deadline to accept donations
CONNECT WITH US!
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Facebook
- Connect with our community and join the Dempsey Center Fundraising Group on Facebook
- Join the Dempsey Challenge Strava Club
Get The Word Out