Effective May 1, 2021
Dempsey Centers for Quality Cancer Care
- On this Website.
- In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by the Dempsey Centers or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
1. Personal Information We Collect
Information You Submit
You may submit certain personal information in connection with your use of our Website, download and use of our apps, and participation in activities. For example, if you purchase a product on our Website, make a donation to the organization or register for one of our events, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, phone number, credit card information, mailing address and/or similar information. You may also submit personal information when you request information or assistance or sign up to receive communications or updates from us, or submit personal stories, photographs, videos or other messages that you may authorize us to share.
We may receive personal information about you from our third-party vendors, software or applications, who enable us to deliver our Website, apps and online content to you, to process your orders and donations, to manage events, and to provide other activities offered by the Dempsey Centers.
We may provide you with the ability to provide information or materials to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on the Website and transmitted to others at your own risk, and the Dempsey Centers are not responsible or liable for any personal information you post or that is otherwise available to other users or third parties in connection with your User Contributions.
Information Collected Automatically
In order to improve our Website and to tailor our web services to your needs, the Dempsey Centers may also automatically collect information about you when you use our Website. The type of information collected includes information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Website or other application(s), which may also include, for example, IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information. We may also collect information about your use of our Website and application(s), which may include, for example, a reading history of the pages you visit on our Website.
Cookies and similar automatic data collection technologies collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Dempsey Centers, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
Our third-party providers may occasionally drop cookies on your device. For example, the Dempsey Centers also uses Google Ads to help third-party vendors serve their ads and display them to you when you visit our Website, based on your prior visits to our Website or other websites. The Dempsey Centers does not control these cookies, and these cookies fall outside the scope of this policy. To opt out of the personalized advertising from Google please visit
3. Our Use of Information
We may use your information to provide and improve our Website, apps, orders and activities, and to personalize your experience with the Website, apps, orders and activities. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- process and fulfill orders, donations and other transactions;
- organize and coordinate your participation in programs or events;
- respond to your inquiries;
- notify you about changes to our policies;
- optimize or improve our Website, apps, content, products, events, activities, communications and operations;
- let you know about websites, apps, content, products, events, activities, promotions, features and functionality, that we think might be of interest to you; and
- detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our terms or policies, applicable law or regulations, or the rights of any persons, organizations or entities.
4. Retention of Information
When you cancel an order, donation or registration for an event, or stop participating in an event, or using a product, application, feature, activity or promotion, the vendor who processed your personal information may not automatically delete your personal information they have previously received, if information is still needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
We encourage you to read the privacy notices of these vendors, organizations and companies to make sure that you understand how they may use the personal information you provide to them. You can engage directly with the vendors if you have any concerns about the way they process your personal information.
5. Disclosure of Information
Vendors. The Dempsey Centers occasionally engages third-party contractors and agents that provide services to the Dempsey Centers, such as credit card processing, order fulfillment, marketing, database hosting, and web analytics (“Vendors”). These Vendors may have access to your personal information in order to perform their functions. We do not authorize them to use the information we share with them for any other purpose.
Legally Compelled Disclosures
The Dempsey Centers may disclose personal information to government authorities and other third parties when compelled to do so by law, including, without limitation, in response to court orders and subpoenas.
The Dempsey Centers may disclose personal information if required to do so or in the good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to (i) protect and defend its rights or property, the Website or other individuals, and (ii) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of the Dempsey Centers personnel, its members, or others.
Change of Ownership or Organizational Structure
We may transfer personal information to another entity in connection with any change of ownership, change of organizational structure or similar transaction, such as, for example, a transfer to an entity with which we have merged, that we have acquired or that has acquired the Dempsey Centers, or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the Dempsey Centers about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
We use technical and organizational measures designed to keep your personal information secure.
For example, payment card information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer technology and then encrypted into our payment gateway provider’s database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems and are required to keep the information confidential. Once a transaction is complete, your payment information will be deleted from our servers.
Though the Dempsey Centers takes reasonable steps to protect the security and integrity of all personal information provided to the Dempsey Centers, due to the nature of the internet, no transmission of data over the Internet is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully, including when you contact the Dempsey Centers by email or a “contact us” or similar feature on the Website. Accordingly, the Dempsey Centers cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the internet or while stored on its system or otherwise in its care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers. Therefore, any transmission of personal information to us is at your own risk.
This Website is not directed at children under the age of 13, and the Dempsey Centers does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information directly from children under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, you should not use this Website, and under no circumstance should you provide personally identifiable information to the Dempsey Centers. If we learn we have collected or received personally identifiable information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us here.
8. California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us here.
10. Notice to Persons Outside of the United States
The Dempsey Centers is based in the State of Maine in the United States. We provide this Website for use only by persons located in the United States. We make no claims that the Website or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Website may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Website from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. Please note that if you live outside of the United States and you use the Dempsey Centers Website for any reason, such as to register for the Dempsey Challenge or other Dempsey Centers event(s):
- we will allow you to access your personal information upon request, to have it corrected as necessary, to have it deleted when you no longer want to use our Website, download or use our app, participate in activities, or communicate with us, or to have it transmitted to anyone you choose; and
- you may share your concerns if you have any about how we use and protect your information.
To exercise these rights, please contact us here.
12. To request deletion of your data, please contact us at 877-336-7287 or email us at [email protected]. Please note some of your data still may be stored on third party sites.